Image Map

character traits in kindergarten

I use Kid Adsit and Michele Scannell's reader's workshop units. Their Digging Deeper unit focuses on characters and settings. I was frustrated with my students'  simple responses to describe characters. Everyone knows that Goldilocks is a girl with blonde hair. I wanted them to be able to do a little more thinking about characters, so I created this character traits unit for kindergarten learners. I picked words to describe characters that five and six year olds could relate to. Here is how this unit works...

Read a story...
sort the character trait cards to describe the main character...
{I made my students provide evidence from the story to support the character trait they picked.}
 add the character traits they pick to describe the character to a graphic organizer...
 have readers draw and pick their own character traits to describe the character...
read another story and repeat the above activities.
My students loved this activity. 
You can download, print and do this activity right away.
Mrs. Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment