Image Map

Meet the Teacher Monday


Something about me...
I am a mother of 3 boys {4 if you count my husband} and a kindergarten teacher. I refer to my home as a frat house...this week the frat boys sprayed cinnamon all over the bathroom during their "who can swallow a spoonful of cinnamon" competition. I was very happy to find out that it was cinnamon since it was all over the bathroom...you can imagine what I thought it was at first glance.
{my kindergarten school picture}
How long have I been teaching?
This is my 22nd year of teaching. I started my career teaching 2nd grade and then I moved to half day kindergarten. This is my second year teaching all day kindergarten. I absolutely love kindergarten! Their curiosity, innocence and enthusiasm make my job so much fun.

Something you might not know about me...
There are a lot of teachers in my family. My grandmother attended Marshall University for 2 years, got a teaching degree and taught in a one room schoolhouse in West Virginia. My grandfather was a farmer in the summer and a basketball coach and teacher in West Virginia during the school year. Later in his career he taught chemistry at the high school I attended. My mom is a retired teacher who would read Where the Red Fern Grows to her 5th graders every year. Some of my fondest memories are of my mom telling us about funny things that happened at school during dinner...stories about Stevie, snoring feet and the city bus. I was raised by my mother and grandmother, 2 amazing women, because my father passed away when I was in 3rd grade. I named my oldest son after my dad and it is amazing how much he looks like him...

What am I looking forward to this year?
I love the start of a new school year. I have had the summer to work on projects and do some professional reading {I know this will be a surprise to many who think that teachers do nothing during the summer}, my classroom is sparkly and super organized and my bulletin boards are ready for some 5 and 6 year old creations. I am also looking forward to using so many of your blog ideas that I have found and are "pinned" to my boards.

What do I need to improve on this year?
If you follow my blog you know that I need to work on slowing down and not working so late at night so that I catch my typos before my blogging buddies do:) I also want to build on the science and math notebooks that I started last year as well as have my students start reading and writing notebooks. 

Teaching supplies that I can NOT live without...
Starbucks in the morning & Diet Coke at noon, Mr. Sketch markers, my Mac, my Google Reader,  fonts, Dansko clogs, professional books {I go back to these year after year...some authors I feel like are my BFFs} post-it notes, Lakeshore and books...lots and lots of books.


Mrs. Bell

1 comment:

  1. Jonelle,
    I really appreciate your blog and your willingness to share your talents. I have a few family members that were teachers also- my great grandmother taught on an Indian reservation in the Dakotas in the early 20th century.
    I return to the classroom next week- I am sure you are off to a great start- Your students will love their kindergarten year.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete